Sciatica is a painful disorder that typically originates at the lower spine and can be caused when a vertebra becomes displaced creating pressure on the sciatic nerve. The pain travels from the root of the nerve, across the lower back, into the buttocks, and into a leg. It can travel as far as an affected person's foot. Most often, only one side of the body is affected. Sciatica can be debilitating. It can affect every aspect of a sufferer's personal and professional life. At Brainard Chiropractic in Fremont, we offer sciatica relief through chiropractic care.
Causes of Sciatic Nerve Pain
Aside from a displaced vertebra, there can be other causes of sciatic nerve pain.
- One or more displaced or herniated spinal discs.
- A bone spur compressing the sciatic nerve.
- Piriformis syndrome. When the piriformis muscle compresses the sciatic nerve.
Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica
Chiropractic care does not involve the risks of surgery or the dangers of pain medications. There are a variety of treatment options that our chiropractor might use to eliminate sciatic nerve pain and restore a patient's mobility. Some of those options involve the following:
- Spinal Adjustments: Central to the practice of chiropractic is spinal adjustments for purposes of realigning the spine and relieving pressure on the spinal nerves. These adjustments reduce compression of the sciatic nerve and in turn, increases blood flow to the affected area.
- Massage: Tight muscles need to be relaxed, and muscles that are in spasm need to be released. Chiropractic massage can be used to stretch and relax the muscles and trigger point therapy releases spasms. These therapies are particularly important before spinal adjustments to make the process of realigning the spine easier.
- Cold Laser Therapy: We couple chiropractic care with FDA approved low-level laser therapy. With this therapy, a special laser light travels below to treat the inflamed nerves, tissue, and reducing pain. Cold laser therapy is painless. The only thing that patients feel is the laser device touching them slightly.
- Home Exercises: These are important for preventing re-injury. After our chiropractor has applied the chiropractic adjustments to the patient, strengthening the surrounding muscles will help during the recovery process.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Treatment in Fremont, NE
If you suffer from sciatica and live in or around Fremont, schedule an appointment with Dr. Brainard at Brainard Chiropractic. After a full examination, we can talk about the available treatment options. We will create a plan designed to reduce your pain and restore your full range of motion. Call us today at (402) 727-8668 to learn more.